Leesrigg Cottage Holiday Cottage is centrally located between the Northern Lake District Fells and the Solway Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, making this holiday cottage an ideal base for exploring the locality. We’ve listed just some of the local attractions and activities for you here.
- Lake District National Park Official Site
- Cumbria Tourism
- Visit Cumbria
- Visit England
- Lake District Walks
- Solway Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Solway Wetlands
AdventureSmart www.adventuresmart.uk Be prepared before heading out into the lakes. Ask yourself 3 questions before you set off: Do I have the right gear? Do I know what the weather will be like? Am I confident I have the knowledge & skills for the day?
- The Greenhill Hotel, Wigton, CA7 8LS www.greenhillhotel.co.uk (4 miles). Recommended for it’s Georgian grandeur at surprisingly affordable prices.
- The Lakeside, Brayton, CA7 3PY 2miles www.braytonpark.co.uk (3 miles)
- Overwater Hall, Ireby, CA7 1HH www.overwaterhall.co.uk
- Fredericks, Lounge Bar & Restaurant, 43 Station Street, Cockermouth, CA13 9QW (11 miles)
The Oddfellows Arms, Bolton Low Houses, CA7 8PA (3 miles) https://www.theoddfellowsarmspub.com/
Conveniently, the 554 and 600 stagecoach bus services stop right outside
The Grey Goat, Baggrow, CA7 3QH, 016973 20026 – Has a good selection of beer and ales, but at this time does not have a restaurant.
2miles (1.6 miles if walking via Baggrow Lonning)
Be sure to wear your wellingtons if walking via Baggrow Lonning, unless there’s been a really long dry spell (which doesn’t happen often in Cumbria!) Roads are unlit, so a torch / Hi-vis might be handy if you are planning on being out late.
The Sun Inn, Red Dial, Wigton, CA7 8LP. 016973 42167 (4miles)
Letters Inn, Outgang Road, Aspatria, CA7 3HW 01697 508952
Snooty Fox, Uldale CA7 1HA. 5miles http://snootyfoxuldale.co.uk/
Dog Friendly Pubs
The Sun Inn, Bassenthwaite, CA12 4QP
https://www.suninnbassenthwaite.co.uk/ 10 miles
The Greyhound Inn, Bothel, CA7 2HS 016973 20601 (3 miles)
The Belle Vue, Papcastle, Cockermouth, CA13 0NT (10 miles)
http://thebellevuepapcastle.co.uk/ Recommended – booking is essential, and prepare yourself for the large portions!
Don’t leave Cumbria without trying the Cumberland Sausage, or locally produced lamb!
The major supermarkets (Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury’s) all deliver to the area, so why not avoid spending your holiday in the supermarket and have it brought to you!
Wigton (6 miles)
For choice, and close proximity, Wigton is probably the best town to visit if you need groceries. :
- Co-op, Station Rd, Wigton CA7 9AF
- Lidl, King St, Wigton CA7 9HG
- Spar, 40 King St, Wigton CA7 9EW
- R J Harrison & Sons Butchers, 24 King St, Wigton CA7 9DT
- David Paisley Butchers, 5 King St, Wigton CA7 9DT
- JH & J Fox Butchers, 55 High St, Wigton CA7 9PG
Aspatria (4 miles)
- Co-op, 32 King St, Aspatria, Wigton CA7 3AA
- Spar, 16 – 16a Queen St, Aspatria, Wigton CA7 3AR
- Aspatria Farmers, Station Works, Station Rd, Aspatria, Wigton CA7 3JW – Lots of goodies for your four legged friends!
Cockermouth (11 miles)
- Home Farm Butchers (3 miles)
Meats locally sourced from onsite farm, with vegetables and herbs grown in own Walled Garden. All within the grounds of the former Brayton Hall.
Brayton Park, Aspatria, Wigton, Cumbria, CA7 3PY
- Cranstons Food Hall (12 miles)
Show-cases Cumbrian produce at its best bringing together Cranstons own produce and produce from over 30 Cumbrian food and drink producers.
Orton Rd, Carlisle CA5 6LA
- Claire’s Handmade Preserves (0.5 mile)
Award winning small producer of speciality jams, marmalades, chutneys and pickles.
George Moor Estate, Fletchertown, Wigton CA7 1BA
- Thornby Moor Dairy (9 miles)
Makers of Artisan Cheese since 1979 (9 miles)
Crofton Hall, Thursby, Crofton, Carlisle CA5 6QB
Local Wedding and Conference Venues
- The Greenhill Hotel, Wigton (4.5 miles)
- Blaithwaite House, Wigton (2.5 miles)
- Three Hills Barn, Torpenhow (3.5 miles)
Walks and public footpaths nearby
Circular walk from Leesrigg Cottage. Right on the doorstep! Walking route here
Silloth Promenade to Grune Point. Details here. A coastal walk only a short drive away. Time it right and treat yourselves to fish and chips at the end of the walk!
Binsey – the smallest of the Wainwrights, but well worth it for the views! The route described here can be accessed from the lay-by on the A591, close to the footpath which leads to the summit. link to parking location.
Dodd Wood. A twelve mile drive away, on the A591 Bothel-Keswick road, Dodd Wood has a number of marked-out routes of varying difficulties, and enjoys views over Bassenthwaite lake, Derwent Water, and of the nesting Ospreys (at the right time of year) details here
Attractions (Whatever the Weather)
- Hadrian’s wall
- Go Ape! Whinlatter
- The Lake District Wildlife Park nr. Bassenthwaite
- Watchtree Nature Reserve, Orton. https://www.watchtree.co.uk/ 12miles
- Lake District Wildlife Park, Bassenthwaite, CA12 4RD. lakedistrictwildlifepark.co.uk 9miles
- Wordsworth House and Garden, Cockermouth www.nationaltrust.org.uk (11miles)
- Mirehouse & Gardens, Bassenthwaite, CA12 4QE www.mirehouse.com (12miles)#
- Solway Aviation Museum, Carlisle Airport, Crosby-on-Eden, CA6 4NW (23 miles)
For a rainy day…
- Wordsworth House, Cockermouth
- Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery Carlisle
- The Lakes Distillery nr. Bassenthwaite
- Castlegate House Gallery, Cockermouth, CA13 9HA http://www.castlegatehouse.co.uk/ 11miles
- Lake District Coast Aquarium (11 miles)
South Quay, Maryport, CA15 8AB
- Senhouse Roman Museum (11 miles)
Sea Brows, Maryport, CA15 6JD
- Maryport Maritime Museum (11 miles)
1 Senhouse Street, Maryport, CA15 6AB
There are bus stops at Mealsgate Junction, near Highfield House, CA7 1JP on the A595, which is a 1.1 mile walk from Leesrigg Cottage
- Stagecoach https://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables 554 Carlisle – Keswick
- Stagecoach https://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables 600 Carlisle – Cockermouth
Northern Rail www.northernrailway.co.uk operate the Carlisle – Barrow-in-Furness Coastal line, with the nearest stations at:
- Aspatria, CA7 2AW (4 miles)
- Wigton, CA7 9BA (6 miles)
Timetables are available on the Northern Rail website. Or, for next departure times, text the station name e.g. ASPATRIA to 84950
Our nearest mainline station is at Carlisle, with connections to major cities including London, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow are within easy reach for a sightseeing or shopping day.
Taxi / Minicab
- Station House Taxis, Wigton, 016973 43148
- Ellenvale, Fletchertown, 016973 22244
- Thomson Travel, Aspatria, 016973 21549